I was recently talking to a friend who is starting her own business from the ground up and she was asking me what most surprised me in my first year of business. It got me thinking about all the unexpected elements of being a business owner – so much so that I was inspired to make this episode!
I thought it was such a great question, I never thought to ask this myself. But thinking back, there are so many unexpected, surprising elements of being a business owner that I really wish I had known at the beginning! So that’s what I’m sharing on this episode on the podcast.
My hope is that this list will inspire, encourage, inform or teach you something new.
The 10 Things That Surprised Me Most About Owning A Business
- You don’t need anyone’s permission to start a business.
- It takes money to make money…kind of.
- You don’t need to know all the answers.
- You might miss having a boss.
- It’s possible to make more money than you ever expected.
- Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is hard.
- You will get support from unexpected people.
- You’ll miss the office (sometimes).
- You need to know your “true north” to really flourish.
- You might just fall in love with entrepreneurship itself!